It is important to prepare at home before your procedure. For the best possible healing, follow all of your doctor’s specific recommendations.
- Transportation. If you’re receiving sedation or anesthesia, you will have to arrange for transportation to and from surgery.
- Fasting. If you’re receiving sedation or anesthesia, you will be required to fast. Your doctor will tell you exactly how many hours you need to fast for.
- Soft Foods. Make sure you have soft foods in your house. Prepare soups, yogurts, oatmeal, and applesauce for after the surgery.
Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for eight hours prior to your appointment
- You must be accompanied by a responsible adult
- Your escort must remain in the office during the procedure and drive you home
- No smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery
- Stop smoking after surgery for optimal healing
- You should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following your anesthesia
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves that can be rolled up past the elbow
- Remove any contact lenses, jewelry, and anything removable in the mouth
- Do not wear lipstick, nail polish or excessive makeup
- Please notify our office if you have a cold, sore throat or stomach upset
- Make sure your doctor is aware of any and all medications you may take